Saturday, December 19, 2009

The New (and much improved) VIBE Magazine...


I have been reading Vibe since the first issue. It was a Christmas gift from my mother. Followed by a gift a few Christmases ago of the Vibe Photography coffee table book. I grew up on Vibe and felt too cool when I found out that along the way one of their Editor-in-Chiefs was the granddaughter of my grandfather's ex wife. When she wrote her first novel, More Like Wrestling, he got a copy and passed around the family for all of us to read. It's still one of my favorite books.

When she was brought back on as the EIC, I was excited. I was holding out hope that the magazine would go back to it's original quality and originality. And I think she made great improvements. She also made the round on TV, which was a great move. In the years between her first stint at Vibe and her second, TV clip shows and appearance on news networks for big entertainment stories had become part of the cultures landscape. She was great at that.

But, yesterday, I cam across the NEW Vibe Magazine (pictured above). I flipped through it and was really impressed. The look of the magazine has grown up, the feel of the ads was really edgy and made a big impact and the articles were fantastic. The staff is really working hard to revamp the entire brand. From the article on Shakir Stewart's suicide to, yes, the Chris Brown interview and the Amber Rose fashion layout I was really impressed. Kudos to them for bringing back and institution bigger and better!

Here's a preview of Amber Rose giving it ALL for Vibe!

No comments:

Post a Comment